I went to a practice of internal medicine doctors at the General Internal Medicine Group. This was my first time at GIMG, and I was impressed by this outfit's smooth operation. My new doctor is Dr. Jolly, who is a lady and very professional and no non-sense. She seems to know what she’s doing. I looked up her profile and she went to Stanford, so she must be pretty smart.
My appointment was in two-parts. After fasting (water only) from the night before, I showed up at 8:30 a.m. to have my blood drawn. Then I returned in the afternoon for my visit with the doctor at 3:30 p.m.
I arrived ten minutes early, expecting to hear about the results of my blood tests. I was sent into the exam room. There were magazines. I browsed through US Weekly, waiting for the doctor. There was a computer with a flat screen monitor (pretty fancy, I thought).
Then a physician’s assistant came in to take my weight, height (5’ 4”), pulse (72) and my blood pressure (107 over 80). My blood pressure has always been on the lower side, so this was pretty normal for me. It is always good to get your blood pressure checked, but why do they always have to make that strap around your arm so tight? That hurt! Or is this just my problem?
When the doctor came in, I found out that I won’t get the results of the blood work for five business days. She gave me a number to call next week to find out the results.
The doctor checked my ears and throat. She asked me to move my arms above my head and around. She checked my reflexes with that little hammer. I found out they call it a "reflex hammer." Makes sense. Doctors use this instrument to check for any abnormalities in your central or peripheral nervous system.
Then she ordered a whole slew of blood tests, including a “comprehensive metabolic panel,” which measures your sugar (glucose) level, electrolyte and fluid balance, kidney function, and liver function. She ordered a test to check for thyroid gland problems. She ordered a “complete blood count” (or CBC). This test helps in diagnosing conditions like anemia or blood clotting problems. Because of my family history, the doctor also ordered some additional labs, including a "coronary risk profile," which provides cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
When she finished up, she then had the nurse’s assistant come back in to do an EKG (electrocardiogram). This is a test that checks for problems with the electrical activity of your heart. She decided to do this because I had one done by my previous doctor and he noticed a potential problem. This time, however, it came back normal.
She sent in a couple prescriptions for me too, including a self-administered shot in the event I have a severe allergic reaction. Although I love shrimp and other shellfish, I found out years ago that I’m allergic to shellfish and the reaction was not fun! I stay away from shellfish now, but in case I ingest some by accident, I always can use this shot. She asked which pharmacy I use and I told her the CVS around the corner from my apartment. She looked it up on her computer, typed the prescription in, and off it went, directly to the pharmacy! Technology is cool.
At the very end of the appointment, she gave me a few goals to work on (exercise more was the main one) and she handed me a “preventive health checklist."
In addition to the usual lifestyle suggestions (weight control, healthy diet, exercise, no tobacco, alcohol in moderation, and monthly breast self exams), the list has many other useful suggestions and reminders, including:
- Use sun protection while outdoors
- Be aware of workplace safety issues
- Use non-slip rugs in the home
- Get enough sleep
- Put together a living will
- Get at least three servings of calcium a day
The afternoon appointment was easy and only took about an hour, including waiting time.
So call your doctor as soon as you can for a preventive health exam. It could make a huge difference in the quality of your life by detecting and preventing health problems.

1 comment:
I have my "ANNUAL" exam on March 6 but have never had as thorough exam as you outlined. Gee,..I guess I have some questions to ask the doctor. I go to and see annually the Tribal Health doctor here who is a woman...nevertheless, I still and perhaps all of us, should be doing the same, asking such questions, and having similar. For me, I don't know what my Cholesterol level is, etc.
Thanks so much for the education! and motivation to ask more questions, what about referal to an internist (if I don't or she doesn't prescribe such tests) for such & such, etc.
Post a Comment