Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bathroom Project - Day 4

I'm tired!

Day 4 was all tiling. We're using 4 x 4 white glossy tiles. I was able to put up eight rows today along the longer wall, which I guess is not that bad considering I ran out of thin-set mortar and had to make another trip to Menards and Home Depot this afternoon for supplies.

I picked up the accent tile that will go above the eighth row. The accent will be a glass mosaic tile in a blue blend that Mave picked out last time we were at Menards. All of the tile is from Menards and the thin-set mortar and grout are from Home Depot. For some reason, Menards didn't have thin-set approved for shower and tub surrounds, otherwise I would have picked up everything at one place.

I haven't even started on the shorter wall yet because I need a couple more tools for the cuts around the faucet and spout. By the way, remember yesterday I said the bottom three rows would stay because they were in good shape? Well I was wrong. Once I put up a few of the new glossy white tiles, the old tiles looked a little dingy. So out with the old, in with the new!

A tip if you try this at home: don't assume the tub is level. Using spacers, the tiling was going along nicely and neatly, and then after row 5 went in, I checked for level. Low and behold, the row was not level. At least they were evenly spaced! So I had to fix this in rows 6 through 8. Mave didn't even notice it when she got home from school, so I think it'll be fine.

1 comment:

Sylv said...

What a WONDERFUL JOB!..AWESOME!