This past Saturday at the Ojibwa Community College powwow, the students and organizers of the event held an honor song for Ma. Since she was recovering from her chemo treatment on Friday, she wasn't able to make it home in time to be there. But John, Jim and Lisa were there for her, and they accepted a blanket for Ma and danced for her.Although she wasn't able to attend, she did send along a message to the powwow and John read it to the crowd:
"I want to thank you from the bottom of my old heart for the honor you have bestowed on me today. I would love to be there but chemo treatment Friday left me too tired. I want to tell you that I have lost my hair! What a sight! Now besides false teeth, hearing aids, walkers, and eyeglasses now I have added a wig to all this. And they call this the golden years!Don’t believe it! It is really the “aids” years- with all the “aids” you need to get along. I will be seeing you soon.Thank You again, I love you all.
Barbara Spruce Mantila"
When Ma realized there was more she wanted to say, she sent along a second, very important note for John to read:
"One thing I forgot to mention, is that I really want to tell the women here today- Listen to your body. Ovarian cancer is often diagnosed too late because the symptoms often seem like something else, like intestinal problems or you are told by your doctor you just need to lose weight because you have abdominal obesity. The major symptoms are bloating, feeling full quickly, abdominal pain and other gastrointestinal problems.
Don’t hesitate to question or even change doctors. If you can’t push for yourself (being assertive and demanding) think of your daughters and granddaughters … do it for them. Be your own advocate. Let no one dismiss your concerns. Make them take your concerns seriously. Ask for a cancer screen and get a pelvic exam.
Be tenacious in being heard and getting help. If you think something is wrong and don’t get the answer that seems right try another doctor and another doctor.
Us Indian women must be more demanding with our health care providers."
Thanks to John, Jim and Lisa for being there to accept the honor for Ma and a big thanks to the powwow organizers for bestowing the honor to our mom. Migwetch!

1 comment:
I think the Pow-wow was the tribal college in Baraga.
Post a Comment