Sunday, December 14, 2008

Subtle Signs



I heard an interview on the radio yesterday about the symptoms of heart attacks and I was surprised by how much I didn't know.

Most of us think of the "hollywood heart attack" where someone suddenly grabs their chest in intense pain and falls over. This is not typical.

True, chest pain is the most common sign of heart attack for both men and women, but chest pain does not "always" occur as a symptom. We often overlook other symptoms because they are not what we expect. And women often have different symptoms than men. Women, for example, might have a "sick to my stomach" feeling, whereas this is less common in men.

Because many of us expect the hollywood heart attack, instead of the sometimes more subtle signs of heart attack, we often delay seeking medical attention.

This video is about the sometimes subtle warning signs of heart attacks and it's message is if you feel something is wrong but you can't quite put your finger on it, seek medical attention right away.

No comments: